It is the beginning of semester and so I try to fill my first few lectures with lots of inspiring examples of exceptional storytelling online. Here are some of my favourite stories that I have collected over the years.
- An interactive, that incorporates multimedia and showcases what you can do with a breaking news story: The Guardian Middle East unrest
- The power of involving your audience before you even publish the story and how to present data heavy stories in an engaging manner: The Guardian MP expenses
- Another example of a data story that is presented in such a dynamic and engaging way: LA Times LA homicides
- An oldy, but a goody. How a broad issue can be covered using a multimedia package: Wall Street Journal The rise of rural India
- The power and beauty of the audio slideshow to tell a story: NY Times: Platoon Ambush
- The use of a timeline to let a user navigate the complex background to a story:The Guardian Path to Arab protests
It’s interesting that the favourites I turn to again and again are all international. I do have a few Australian examples that I use, but none have really captured the imagination of just what is possible so well.
What about you? Do you have any favourite and inspiring online journalism examples?