I am revamping my introductory online journalism course next semester and want to know what are the most important skills an online journalist needs. Let’s take it as a given that they need an amazing news sense, but if you had to rank in order of importance specific online skills what would be most important?
I have previously tried to teach basic use of Flash (to encourage students to think about incorporating interactivity into their storytelling), telling a story using multimedia (audio, video etc), non-linear story telling and chunking, and blogging. But if I were to give you a list, in no particular order, how would your rank these skills in order of importance:
- Evidence of blogging and interaction with a wide range of blogs
- An understanding and active use of social media (Twitter, RSS, social bookmarking etc.)
- The ability to tell an engaging story using still images and audio (audio slideshow – see my previous post for great examples)
- Ability to shoot, edit and tell stories using video
- Basic ability to create interactive story elements using Adobe Flash
- Ability edit audio and produce podcasts
- Ability to file from the field breaking news
- Ability to moderate online discussion
How would you rank this list or what else would you include?